The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 11/24/10 The Thanksgiving Edition




A happy Thanksgiving to you all out there! If you're air traveling in the U.S., here's hoping the lines are less painful than expected and that you're not honked, goosed or have your goodies scanned and posted on The Hun.

As they say, this is the time where it's appropriate to sit back and reflect on what we're all thankful for before plowing into our holiday feasts. That being said, I'm personally grateful I have a son who's going to turn 3 in a couple weeks and I'm less fearful for his well-being than I was before. If anything, his confidence is through the roof--if you're a parent, that's both a good and bad thing! While the experience has aged, grayed and tired me out more than I needed to be at this point in my life, I recognize I have a fine young man for a kid to this point and when he looked up at me during a daddy and son breakfast yesterday and said to me, "I'm happy," well, how can you not be thankful for that?

I'm thankful for a solid family base who provide my sanctum, hectic as life is. No way could I live this life at my point without such a strong support base, so bless you all, family. I'm thankful for my friends, most of whom I neglect, admittedly. Not easy juggling multiple hats in my household and running out of time to pick up the phone and call or answer my emails. I suck, but you all rule for not holding it against me. As rappers would've said when the genre was still legit, y'all are true playas...

I'm thankful to all of my publicists, label reps and band chums who've flooded me with anticipation (and insurmountable requests for press coverage) and encouragement with The Metal Minute and especially Retaliate magazine. I've had numerous trials behind-the-scenes getting this sucker afloat and while it sometimes felt like the unforseen forces wanted to keep a brother down, I've felt even more it's time to push and seize the moment. People slug through worse odds and prevail.

I'm thankful for football on Thanksgiving, because we all don't take into account how privileged we are as a nation to have such luxury at our disposal, namely athletes who give up their family time to go to work and entertain us...assuming we're awake after stuffing our gills. Yeah, football players are paid mondo bucks, but this is a day where they earn their money for simply showing up. Ditto for all those forced to work on a holiday they deserve to chill out. Again, y'all are true playas...

I'm thankful to be employed in these times. While it's never easy to stomach working on loan files with people making triple what you do and getting half the interest rate you have, at the end of the day, if you're not on unemployment, that's something to believe in and be thankful for. So many people continue to struggle for the basics of life in and out of this country and there have been so many natural disasters and manmade conflicts tearing their homes apart...if you're not touched by that and thankful for the luxuries you have, then you're devoid of either the basics or a soul.

I'm thankful bands like Killing Joke, Devo, Heart and Filter believe in themselves so much they're playing honest music knowing their demographic will be limited. Their heydays are gone but not their spirits to play music that either matters or is simply a fun ride. Though I don't get to spend nearly the amount of time with every band placed before me as I'd like to, I'm thankful they've all come to me for my opinion. It's a subjective business, like writing itself; journalists and writers are tools, that's the sad fact. We're on the lower tier of the rock 'n roll food chain, yet we're given power and credentials as tastemakers and opinionated arseholes. We may not say all the things everyone wants us to say or our critiques may touch a nerve with some people, but when the albums still come, the interviews are still booked and the offers to be guest listed fill up the calendars, how can you not be thankful?

Finally, as always, I'm beyond thankful to have the same number of readers as I ever had, even when dropping out for a couple months. An audience is the most important dimension to being a writer. As a writer, you may think you're writing for yourself and only yourself, but in the end, filled pages become awful lonely without eyes giving them a lookover. Thank you all, for always being there reading.



So, this past Saturday I had a ripping interview with Thomas Pridgen and Viveca Hawkins of The Memorials for Retaliate #2. Thomas played drums on the past couple Mars Volta albums and has sessioned all over the place, while Viveca has likewise done tours of duty with multiple acts including Blackalicious. An hour filled with laughter, lunacy and one of the nuttiest but coolest interviews I've had all year. That's something to be thankful for, to connect with your guests in such fashion. After talking with Viveca and Thomas, I believe we have a date with some blue crabs in the future. Good times, ain't we lucky we've got 'em.

So on to the playlists, and do stick around The Metal Minute. I was thankful for a productive week here and I have plenty more o' comin' atcha quicker than 3-D. Well, maybe not that fast, but it's all about the hype. Look out for reviews of Texas Hippie Coalition, Heaven & Hell, Twisted Sister and a Take 5 guest I'll leave you in suspense with for the moment.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone...




Mini Mansions - s/t
The Memorials - s/t
David "Rock" Feinstein - Bitten by the Beast
Suicidal Tendencies - No Mercy Fool!/The Suicidal Family
Gwar - Bloody Pit of Horror
Powerworld - Human Parasite
Texas Hippie Coalition - Rouin
The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Air - Love 2
Hawaii Mud Bombers - Mondo Primo
The Flairz - Rock 'n Roll Ain't Evil
Res - How I Do
Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
Repo Man soundtrack

10 comments:

taotechuck said...

Norman Jay - Journeys By DJ: Desert Island Mix Part 2
Annie Lennox - Bare
The Replacements - All Shook Down
The Kinks - Are the Village Green Preservation Society
Optimo (Espacio) - Fabric 52
Kathleen Ferrier - Bach: St. Matthew Passion
Jesus and Mary Chain - Honey's Dead
Curve - Come Clean
Devil and the Sea - Heart vs Spine
Cinematic Orchestra - Every Day
Simon & Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence
Simon & Garfunkel - Wednesday Morning, 3 AM
v/a - Rough Guide to the Music of Sudan
v/a - Dynamite! Dancehall Style 100% (Good dancehall comp, plus it's got Shinehead's cover of "Billie Jean")
Hot Water Music - The New What Next

Metal Mark said...

Chuck-That Devil and the Sea was fantastic. I have not heard it in a while and just dig it out at some point.


various kid's Christmas CDs
Planet 51 soundtrack
Star Wars The clone wars soundtrack
Ross the boss-Hailstorm
Witch-Damnation
Earthride-Something wicked
DarkBlack-Midnight Wraith
The hounds of Hasselvander-s/t
Warbeast-Krush the enemy
Skullhammer-both
Picture-Diamond Dreamer
Praying Mantis-Time tells no lies

bob_vinyl said...

Soundgarden - Louder Than Love
Voivod - Nothingface
Peter Gabriel - So
Dadawah - Peace and Love
HR - Human Rights
Bad Brains - s/t
Bad Brains - I Against I
Dag Nasty - Can I Say
Adele - 19
Paul McCartney - Band on the Run (re-issue with bonus tracks)
GBH - Do What You Do
GBH - Catch 23
Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Supertramp - Even in the Quietest Moments
Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant (a Thanksgiving classic)
Elvis Costello - National Ransom
Devo - Something for Everybody
U2 - No Line on the Horizon
Tom Petty - Wildflowers
Boris Smile - Rockets EP

cjk_44 said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Atheist - Jupiter
The Ocean - Anthropocentric
Amorphis - Magic and Mayhem
Jimi Hendrix - Blues (reissue)
Jimi Hendrix - Live at Winterland
As I Lay Dying - Shadows are Security
Extol - Synergy
James Murphy - Feeding the Machine
In Flames - The Jester Race
In Flames - Black Ash Inheritance
Djam Karet - A Night for Baku
Vinnie Moore - The Maze
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime II
Indigo Girls - Staring Down the Brilliant Dream
Jonny Lang - Lie to Me
Merle Haggard - I Am What I Am

Ray, nice thougts in your post. We all have a lot to be thankful for in these crazy times.

DPTH International said...

Hail Of Bullets - On Divine Winds
Alterbridge - ABIII
Forbidden - Omega Wave
Mychildren MyBride - Lost Boy
Since October - Life Scars Apologies
Haste The Day - Attack of the wolf King
Ancient Dome - Human Key
Quo Vadis - Discography
Seven Kingdoms - S/T , Brothers of the Night
Testament- The Ritual, Souls of Black
Menhir-Die Ewigen Steine, Hildebrandslied

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I've not heard Devil and the Sea, but curious, needless to say.

Mark, interesting you with a SW soundtrack? I can say I feel lukewarm about the Clone Wars movie...don't hate it, but I don't rave on it either. I'm actually more stoked for the new Tron and Trek 2 if they keep the same team.

Bob, look at you, back in business on the music ride. So, how do you like the new Devo album?

cjk, thanks, man....I know it was corny, but you really do need to stop and acknowledge the best and the basics of life sometimes

Dpth, another friend of mine was raving on the Alterbridge album to me...thoughts?

Metal Mark said...

Ray-I got the SW for review a few years ago and was playing it mainly because Levi likes it. I liked the movie though and what I have seen of the series. A little less corn than several of the movies live action movies. We have to wait until 2012 for the next Trek movie. Green Lantern is probably the movie I am most interested in for 2011.

bob_vinyl said...

Ray, when the new Devo was on, it was really good and very much in the vein of the old days. It was a little inconsistent, but more on than off. I can understand why you were so excited about it.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Mark, I'm excited for GL too. Ever since I saw what possibilities there are with CGI for superhero films (despite my bitching about CGI being soulless) the immediate reaction I had was, "Finally, the capacity to do a GL movie!" I showed "The Trouble With Tribbles" episode of Trek to my kid and he kind of meandered around the room and looked at it once in awhile then said "that's fun" when it ended. Not sure if it sunk in or not, buuuuut...

Bob, glad you dug Devo. When I first heard it, the only inconsistencies I heard were the final two songs which seemed to go off from the main drive of the album, which is really, really focused. Since I've heard the album so many times now, I just accept those last two songs as part of the course. Definitely my favorite non-metal album of the year.

DPTH International said...

Hey Ray,

I enjoy ABIII. I like their first album, and this kind of reminded me of it. The songs are more memorable then their 2nd album.

I wouldn't rave about it, but I will be listening to it more often then "Blackbird" but not as much as "One Day Remains"

Hope that helps.