The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 12/8/10

Let's take a break today from the Retaliate free preview to check in with everybody's playlists, shall we?

Hope everyone's enjoying the preview. Below is an official press release about Retaliate indicating what's at stake and what's new from this point. The rest of issue #1 will occupy the remainder of this week at The Metal Minute and from there we'll resume normal activities.

As always, thanks for your ever-present support...


Baltimore, MD USA

December 2, 2010



Ray Van Horn, Jr., editor, author, rock journalist and concert photographer announced today the debut issue of his new rock, punk, metal and horror film venture Retaliate PDF magazine will be posted in daily increments at his award-winning site The Metal Minute (www.metalminute.com) during the subsequent week.

As a special holiday thank-you to all of his readers, Van Horn is releasing Retaliate #1 for free. Yep, free. Countless pages of rock 'n roll and silver screams, all flowed to the masses in the spirit of giving.

Retaliate magazine was created and assembled largely on the shoulders of Van Horn. Minus some key contributions from friends and industry representatives, Van Horn fielded all the interviews, reviews, layouts and a large portion of the live photos appearing in Retaliate. For future issues of Retaliate, Van Horn is pleased to announce the recruiting of his new partner Sheila Eggenberger as his tech, creative and design advisor. Sheila designed the logo and cover format of Retaliate #1 and she brings years of experience in magazine production and graphic design to the table.

Retaliate #1 features interviews with Marky Ramone, Richard Patrick of Filter, Jacoby Shaddix of Papa Roach, Dave Lombardo of Slayer, Stevie Benton of Drowning Pool, Nick Catanese of Black Label Society, Chris Adler from Lamb of God, Wolf Hoffman of Accept, Steve Von Till of Neurosis, Rat Skates and esteemed horror film directors Mick Garris and Adam Green. Also included are Jim Gustafson of Poobah, Krysta Cameron of Iwrestledabearonce, Alexx Calisse, Zuul and Addicted to Pain, plus Jonny Trunk of Trunk Records. In the reviews section are current audio and video releases from Devo, The Doors, Heart, the Rolling Stones, Megadeth, Boris & Ian Astbury, Electric Light Orchestra, Enslaved, Jane's Addiction, Lillian Axe and Paul Gilbert. Also be on the lookout for live photo sections and old-school-styled full page concert shots featuring Anthrax, Slayer, Papa Roach, Drowning Pool, Five Finger Death Punch, Godsmack, Accept, Andrew WK, the Melvins, Katatonia, Arch Enemy, Today is the Day and others.

Future issues of Retaliate will hit the digital sales market for $2.50 USD and Van Horn plans to offer subscriptions to his readers in the new year. For the second issue, Van Horn has already interviewed Jaz Coleman of Killing Joke and The Memorials, which features former Mars Volta drummer Thomas Pridgen and Blackalicious vocalist Viveca Hawkins.

On the release of Retaliate #1, Van Horn states, "I am ecstatic and frankly relieved to have Retaliate officially out there. Though kicking off in unorthodox fashion, I believe in my audience and my industry relations to embrace this no-cost opportunity to preview what I hope will become a true staking of a claim in the digital frontier. I've been through much getting this first issue put down including behind-the-scenes madness, system issues, bronchitis, sprained ankles, little sleep and a few extra gray hairs upon my 40-year-old scalp. Bless it all, this is worth it, though. Having Sheila Eggenberger on my team will ensure Retaliate takes the right steps towards accomplishing my mission statement, which is to provide a quality digital entertainment magazine manifested in a DIY spirit for readers of the future. Kindle is now. Magazine apps for cell phones are now. I used to take a dinosaur's mentality to all of this rapidly-changing tech, but with the right allies and a can--do attitude, Retaliate is also now."





At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command
At the Drive-In - Vaya
Killing Joke - Absolute Dissent
Medicine Lake - s/t EP
Paul Oakenfold - Swordfish score
The Clash - London Calling
The Clash - Super Black Market Clash
Vince Guaraldi - A Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack
Bachman-Turner Overdrive - The Best of BTO: 20th Century Masters Millennium Collection
Air - Talkie Walkie
Patsy Cline - Songs of Love
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
Rob Zombie - Icon 2

8 comments:

taotechuck said...

Ray, you're listening to a nice mix of stuff this week. I haven't listened to Swordfish in years, I'll have to go back and check that out. I finally picked up a Patsy Cline compilation after years of not having anything by her... great singer.

Anyway, here's my list this week.

Cee Lo Green - The Lady Killer
Defiance, Ohio - The Great Depression
Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
The Kinks - Are the Village Green Preservation Society
Dadawah - Peace and Love
Simon and Garfunkel - Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M. - You know, as opposed to Wednesday afternoon at 3 A.M.
Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence
Simon and Garfunkel / Dave Grusin - The Graduate (soundtrack)
Simon and Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme
Simon and Garfunkel - Bookends
Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
Simon and Garfunkel - The Concert in Central Park
Simon and Garfunkel - Live 1969 - I was watching Almost Famous a few weeks ago when I realized I only know Simon and Garfunkel's hits. I decided to go back and listen to all the albums. I can't stomach the first few records -- the lyrics annoy me the same way Emily Dickinson annoys me, as if they were written by a talented 16-year-old girl with no knowledge of the real world -- but by Bookends the songwriting is pretty awesome. It's not stuff I'll listen to with any regularity, but I'm glad I spent some time getting to know these records.

cjk_44 said...

Job For A Cowboy - Ruination
Karnivool - Sound Awake
Shadow Gallery - Legacy
God Dethroned - Into the Lungs of Hell
Witchery - Symphony for the Devil
Moonspell - Sin/Pecado
Testament - First Strike Still Deadly
Voivod - Negatron
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
The Derek Trucks Band - Soul Serenade
Buddy Guy - Blues Singer
Jamey Johnson - That Lonesome Song
Natalie Merchant - Tigerlilly

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Chuck, thanks! It had been a long time since I pulled any of my Oakenfield off the shelf, but I really like that one a lot. I'll have to tap into my S&G now that my dad gave me his vinyl of them...I only had the hits on CD...good stuff, man...and Dylan, well, not much else needs said...I have a three-CD box set of Patsy that I got for Christmas a few years back and I often think, "This is one of the first true country-crossover performers."

cjk, a nice, diverse ride with you too, brother...I've not yet heard that new Witchery album but dug the last one from a few years back...Sharlee was a cool interview as well

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I meant Oakenfold, ugh, more coffee, please

Metal Mark said...

Heavy Load-Metal Conquest
The Ocean-Anthropocentric
Wooden Stake/Druid Lord-split album
Slough Feg-Animal Spirits, Atavism
Oliver Magnum-s/t
Several kid's Christmas albums
Wrathchild-Do you want my love?
The Watchmen soundtrack
Martyr-For the universe
Dokken-live Milwaukee '95/LA '85
Volture-Shocking it's prey
Canvas Solaris-Irradiance
Misfits-boxed set

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Hey, Mark, pretty cool lineup there...I dig Martyr, The Ocean and Slough Feg a lot, of course, and I love your Misfits coffin set...don't think I knew about that Dokken live album...and of course, I love Watchmen, the book and the film was very, very good too

Metal Mark said...

The Dokken one is a bootleg. Shhhhhhhhh. The '95 show is rough, kind of like they are playing at a big picnic or something. Don Dokken sounds half buzzed and half frustated that the crowd isn't that into them. The '85 show is a short set from the Tooth and Nail tour because they were an opening act. The sound quality on that one is a little rough, but definitely worth hearing because it's them at their peak.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

ummmmm....we didn't have this conversation, then, albeit hearing Dokken on the T&N tour sells it for me, no pun intended