The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 2/23/11

Welp, winter's socked us in the teeth again, so it's time for the annual demand of Punxsutawney Phil's lynching. I was wearing shorts last week, eskimo wear yesterday, such a tease. Spring's not even soon enough for me.

At the moment, yours truly has been laid off from the mortgage title industry. Can't say I'm a stranger to downsizing because that industry hires high when the business comes, then dumps everyone at will when it slows down. This time it's a bigger annoyance with a family to provide for and a house to try and keep over our heads. Having my vehicle break down the day after I was laid off was an insult. My wife's car having a broken heater cord this morning after a frigid snow dump and her inability to see...well, I'm taking it personal, at this point.

But I have my armor on, even with my kiddo interrupting me as I try to network and sling out the resumes. Sweet boy, I pray he never knows what this feels like. The few minutes I have before bed, I'm reading Johnny Cash's autobiography and trying to draw strength from his aura. I feel a kindred spirit to the man in some respects.

Thus, any of you fine readers out there who would be interested in having a look at my resume and samples, I have a combined 18 years of business and journalism experience. I'm your man. I do wish to thank the countless people in the industry who have wished me well and taken my resume to filter around their circles. Networking is everything and I'm grateful to know so many caring individuals.

In the immediate future as my job hunt schedule allows, I will be doing some side writing for About.com Heavy Metal and the web area of The Big Takeover magazine. And with that, hang out and hang tight, I'll continue to bring you goodies here at The Metal Minute. Cheers...




Lazarus A.D. - Black Rivers Flow
Stone Axe - s/t reissue
KMFDM - Don't Blow Your Top
Bad Brains - Rock For Light
Bad Brains - I Against I
Thievery Corporation - The Cosmic Game
Thievery Corporation - The Outernational Conspiracy
Judas Priest - Hero Hero
Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery
Melechesh - Emissaries
The Agony Scene - s/t
The Agony Scene - The Darkest Red
The Agony Scene - Get Damned
Matsuriza - Matsuri Daiko
Daft Punk - Homework
Big Brother and The Holding Company - Cheap Thrills
Devo - Something For Everybody
Elvis Presley - Elvis is Back! Legacy Edition
My Dying Bride - The Angel and the Dark River

9 comments:

bob_vinyl said...

Fleetwood Mac - Time
Danny Kirwan - Second Chapter
Fleetwood's Zoo - I'm Not Me
Richard Wright - Wet Dream
Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard

Metal Mark said...

Judas Priest-Stained Class, Point of entry
Stratovarius-several
Hanoi Rocks-many
Journey-Escape
Nekromantheon-Divinity of death
Cirith Ungol-One foot in hell
Stone Axe-s/t re-issue
Brian Robertson-Diamonds and dirt
Crashdiet-all
Trashcan Darlings-Real fucking make-up

metalodyssey said...

I've been in those "out of work shoes" and don't let it dictate the negatives... I wish you all the power to overcome this bump in your road.

Listening to:

We Are The Fallen - Tear The World Down
Rev Theory - Justice
Roger McGuinn - Back From Rio
Doro - Fear No Evil
Slayer - Hell Awaits
Figure Five - Bonfire
Motorhead - any and all!!
Overkill - Horrorscope

cjk_44 said...

Hey Ray - keep up the positive thinking!

Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
Mogwai - The Hawk is Howling
Darkest Hour - The Human Romance
After the Burial - In Dreams
The Red King - Somniferum
Clutch - Strange Cousins from the West
Kotipelto - Coldness
Pelican - Australasia
Monster Magnet - Dopes to Infinity
Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door
Dream Theater - Pink Floyd covers

taotechuck said...

Bon Iver - Blood Bank
The Clientele - Bonfires on the Heath
Merle Haggard - Branded Man
Merle Haggard - I'm a Lonesome Fugitive
Merle Haggard - I Am What I Am
Secret Sisters - s/t
Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
Richard & Linda Thompson - Shoot Out the Lights
Richard Thompson - Amnesia
Richard Thompson - Dream Attic
Richard Thompson - Front Parlour Ballads
Richard Thompson - Mock Tudor
Richard Thompson - Sweet Warrior
Carlisle Floyd - Susannah
Silver Mt. Zion - Kollaps Tradixionales
Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You
Musique Fragile 01
Pan American - For Waiting, For Chasing
Josh Ritter - various songs

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

cjk and metalodyssey thanks, so far I've just set up an interview with a recruiter for next week, so it'a a start....I've dedicated 7-8 hours a day job hunting since Friday and put my coffee in a travel mug like I'm still going to work...a couple days I've showered, shaved and dressed like I'm on the job, so it's a mental fight on top of pure persistence...we'll see what happens. I'm not resting, trust me.

More comments later, gents, took a short break from hunting to answer some emails and posts

DPTH International said...

Apocrypha - The eyes of Time
Applehead - Meaning
Appleseed Cast - The End Of The Ring Wars, Sagarmatha
Arkona- Ot Serdtsa K Nebu
Armageddon Holocaust - discography
Artension - Sacred Pathways, new Discovery
As Cities Burn - discography
As They Sleep - Dynasty
The Ascendicate - To Die As Kings
Asgard (Deu) - Dark Horizons

I wish you all the best, Ray. It can only go uphill from here. Good Luck!

Jeff said...

Hope everything works out for the best - I'm sure it will.

Radiohead - The King of Limbs
Radiohead - In Rainbows
The Who - Quadrophenia
The Who - Tommy
The Who - Who's Next
The Decemberists - The King is Dead
Tennis - Cape Dory
Cat Power - Jukebox
Cat Power - The Greatest
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Weezer - Pinkerton (Deluxe)
Ornette Coleman - Beauty Is a Rare Thing

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Thanks, Jeff, and Dpth...feeling harried but confident....just need the connectors I know are out there to plug in to me :)