The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Metal Louvre: Iced Earth - The Dark Saga



I think The Dark Saga was one of the concepts that endeared me back to metal in the late nineties when I'd abandoned the genre following my explorations in alternative, electronic, classic rock, jazz, classical, Celtic and other forms of music. I've always been a comic book fan, though my participation in that medium has lately been dictated by its inaffordable pricing.

Still, Iced Earth's The Dark Saga really caught my eye with Todd MacFarlane's depiction of his famed Spawn upon the cover. Subsequently, the album dedicating itself to the storytelling of Spawn's damnation/salvation/damnation really stuck with me. I still own the first 40-plus issues of Spawn as it was one of my carryover addictions from working in a comic book retail store. Even though I've changed my once-favorable opinion of the live action film of Spawn (though I still love the HBO animated series), The Dark Saga rekindled two passions of mine, for better or worse.

Just as horror and metal have made comfy bedpartners, ditto for comics and metal. What else do I need to say?

2 comments:

Mary Raven said...

Iced Earth is a great band! Wrote a piece on them on my blog.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Right on. Nice looking blog you have there, albeit I'm not quite astute in German.