The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 3/2/11

Greetings, folks, as always, best wishes to you wherever you rest your head.

On the loose still looking for work with my boy hacking up a lung right behind me as I write this. Been singing along with Ace Frehley on Kiss' "Hard Times," a song I've always loved and is always my rock when backed into the corner.

Other than that, I have reviews of the reissues for Twisted Sister's Come and Out and Play and Love is for Suckers at About.com Heavy Metal (thanks for the work, Chad!) and over at Big Takeover.com you can find my interview with Gerald Casale of Devo and a write-up of the Elvis is Back! Legacy Edition. Any time now, my interview with Matt Sorum of Velvet Revolver/The Cult/Guns n' Roses should be live at Dee Snider's House of Hair Online.

With that, back to the grind, back to the phone with my kid's pediatrician and hoping "Hard Times" can see me through to the next good thing. Cheers, gang...




Elvis Presley - Elvis is Back! Legacy Edition
Lazarus A.D. - Black Rivers Flow
Twisted Sister - Come Out and Play reissue
Twisted Sister - Love is for Suckers reissue
Blue Oyster Cult - Fire of Unknown Origin
Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune
Deep Purple - In Rock
Deep Purple - Burn
Deep Purple - Stormbringer
Motorhead - Overkill
Motorhead - Another Perfect Day
Motorhead - Rock 'n Roll
Motorhead - Bastards
Motorhead - Overnight Sensation
Devo - New Traditionalists
Ostinato - Unusable Signal
Big Business - Mind the Drift
Angra - Aqua
Kiss - Dynasty
Bang Tango - Dancin' On Coals reissue
Bang Tango - Psycho Cafe reissue
Warlock - Hellbound reissue
Against Me! - Searching for a Former Clarity
The Resurrection Sorrow - Hour of the Wolf
Pelican - Australasia
The Cars - s/t

12 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Dust-Hard Attack
Hanoi Rocks-lots
Buffalo-Volcanic Rock
Leafhound-Growers of mushroom
Tygers of Pan Tang-Crazy Nights
Re-Animator-Condemned to eternity
OvO-Cor Cordium
Brian Robertson-Daimonds and dirt
Thin Lizzy-Night Life
Bullet-Highway Pirates
Wytchfyde-Give 'em hell
Venom-Black Metal
Thought Industry-Songs for insects
Grim Reaper-all three
Witchfinder General-Death penalty

metalodyssey said...

I've come to the conclusion, (from experience, of course), that "great things happen" when you least expect it. You will get that job offer... good vibes bellows from this site and your attitude.

Social Distortion - Hard Times And Nursery Rhymes
Rev Theory - Justice
DevilDriver - Beast
Ghost
Havok - Time Is Up
Pro-Pain - Run For Cover
Burzum - Fallen
Morphine Killer - Sickening
Styx - Greatest Hits
Slayer - Hell Awaits (never grows old)
W.A.S.P. - I'm a W.A.S.P. fanatic this week!
Sick Puppies - Polar Opposite (for my chillin' down moods)

DPTH International said...

Ashen Mortality - Sleepless Remorse/Your Caress re-issue
Asmegin - Arv, Hin Vordende Sod & So
Assassin - The Club
At War - Infidel
Atomseed-Get In Line
Atrocity - Atlantis
Atrophy - Socialized Hate, Violent By Nature
Attacker - Battle at Helm's Deep, Second Coming, Soul Taker, The Unknown
August Burns Red-Discography
Austrian Death Machine- Total Brutal, Double Brutal
Avantasia - Discography

Also - Rhapsody of Fire's new ep "Cold Embrace Of Fear" and Lazarus AD's "Black River Flows" both of which were pretty damn good.

taotechuck said...

Bellini - I Puritani (Serafin/Callas)
Silver Mt. Zion - 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons
v/a - Complete Stax-Volt Soul Singles 1972-1975 (disc 5)
Bang Tango - Psycho Cafe
Fleetwood Mac - Live (1980)
Fleetwood Mac - s/t (1975)
Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the Night
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
Staples Singers - Be What You Are
Staples Singers - Be Altitude: Respect Yourself

cjk_44 said...

Darkest Hour - The Human Romance
Death - The Sound of Perseverance (reissue)
Les Discrets - Septembre et ses deniere penses
Exivious - s/t
Ulver - Blood Inside
Fear My Thoughts - Hell Sweet Hell
Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery
Amorphis - Silent Waters
In Flames - Soundtrack to Your Escape
Opeth - Morningrise
Metallica - ... and Justice for All
Gorguts - various tracks
Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning
Jimmie Vaughan - ... Plays the Blues, Ballads & Favorites
The Robert Cray Band - Time Will Tell

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Mark, I got an email from Steve Grimmett that he's bringing his solo band to Maryland later this year but I haven't gotten confirmation where. I haven't downloaded the Brian Robertson album yet, but I get good notes on it.

Metalodyssey, thanks, I do continue to uphold the feeling that something beneficial will come out of this. Feeling the pinch because of my familiy situation, but I've been method and damned near restless in my job search...when I don't have my family on my back, that is. :) Up the WASP. How'd you like the new Burzum? I haven't downloaded it yet.

Dpth, I haven't heard the new At War yet, but I have a burn of their album. I used to love them back in the day and should've kept the vinyl. Glad you're digging the Lazarus A.D. album. I'm hearing too many complaints about its groove, when I think the groove is its biggest asset.

Chuck, glad you're on board the Bang Tango tango, lol... You and Bob have me wanting in on the Fleetwood Mac party, though I only have a hits comp, shame on me. Sitting next to me now.

cjk, I have Sound of Perserverance and Human sitting next to me in queue as well. Like myself, I love seeing your big list of extreme stuff than jazz and blues at the end. It's snarky, don't you think? Love it.

Metal Mark said...

Ray-Download the Brian Robertson album, it's kind of mellow but very much a killer.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Sweet, I'll make a note of it.

cjk_44 said...

ray, in my mind i suppose listening to extreme music and blues/jazz back to back might be snarky if i didn't genuinely like blues/jazz. but i truly appreciate those two genres. regardless, the contrast appeals to me on different levels. wasn't it the Dead Boys that used to play gregorian chants prior to playing their brand of punk/hardcore?

taotechuck said...

Not really sure how the Fleetwood Mac party started, but it's a deep well with a lot of surprises. I listened to Tusk for the first time in over a decade, and it's an absolutely crazy album (in a good way).

As for the Bang Tango, I tried listening to the one you reviewed but it wasn't on MOG yet, so I had to settle for the first one. I lived in LA at the time and even though I moved there because of the metal scene, I quickly grew to hate it. Bang Tango was definitely a bright spot, and it's too bad they didn't get a chance to push farther.

There was a band called New Tribe playing the Sunset strip at the time, and I remember them as pushing the envelope of LA metal pretty hard. I saw them probably more than any other band (even more than Phantom Blue, who I always loved to see live). They never got signed, but everyone thought they deserved it. Curious if any of their old recordings are kicking around out there somewhere.

Metal Mark said...

Chuck-Phantom Blue were great. One of the heavier hard rock acts of that late 80's-early 90's period. Which was a time when most hard rock bands were falling prey to the power ballad. Never heard of New Tribe.

pharmacy said...

Great post! Elvis rocks! keep up the good work.