The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 3/23/11

Howdy, ya'll...

Back to work on my end and very grateful for a job. Though I was only laid off a month, I saw some of the worst job market conditions ever in my working history and I'd entered a recession when I got out of college in 1993. No matter which field I attacked, no matter what thread of my vast network I tugged on, the economy is still hurting and so is the employment numbers. Friends I know in this industry are likewise scrambling for work, much less money to promote bands. If you're without a job right now, I feel your pain. It's brutal out there, but keep slugging. Treat each day like a regular work day and stop only for lunch or a sanity break until you find a job.

Stay tuned for more madness here at The Metal Minute. My right hand Devin Walsh has been on vacay but the site will welcome his return in the immediate future. Continued prayers for Japan; we're always thinking of you.



The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
Hemoptysis - Misanthropic Slaughter
Between the Buried and Me - The Best of Between the Buried and Me
Between the Buried and Me - Colors
Ana Kefr - The Burial Tree (II)
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Laethora - March of the Parasite
Khors - Mysticism
Cyclone - Brutal Destruction
Ahab - The Call of the Wretched Sea
Ahab - The Divinity of Oceans
The Chieftains - The Best of the Chieftains
The Pogues - Dirty Old Town
The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God
Grace Jones - Nightclubbing
Cheap Trick - Heaven Tonight
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
The Smiths - Meat is Murder
The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come
The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs
Brazzaville - East L.A. Breeze
Snapcase - End Transmission
Depeche Mode - Black Celebration
Depeche Mode - Violator
Depeche Mode - Sounds of the Universe
Echo and the Bunnymen - s/t
The Doors - Strange Days

9 comments:

bob_vinyl said...

Elton John - Madman Across the Water
Elton John - Honky Chateau
Elton John - Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Elton John - Victim of Love (well, as much of it as I could stand anyway)
Leon Russell - Carney
John Baldry - It Ain't Easy

DPTH International said...

BattleSword - Failing In Triumph
Battletorn - Terminal Dawn
Becoming The Archetype-The Physics of Fire, Terminate Damnation, Dichotomy
Bedlam - Into The Coals
Beholder - The Legend Begins, Wish For Destruction
Believer - Dimensions, Sanity Obsure, Extraction from Mortality, Gabriel
Berith - Symphony of Suffering
Berserker - Blood Of Warriors
Betrayal - The Passing, Renaissance By Death
Betrayer(CAN)- Rusted Icons
Between The Buried and Me- The anatomy Of, Colors, The Great Misdirect

cjk_44 said...

Wino – Adrift
Gazpacho – Missa Atropos
Death – Symbolic
Cynic – Re-Traced
Dark Tranquillity – Haven
Nile – Black Seeds of Vengeance
Metallica – St. Anger
Damn the Machine – s/t
Deftones – Rarities & B-Sides
The Gathering – Souvenirs
Elton John & Leon Russell – The Union
The Black Crowes – The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
My Morning Jacket – It Still Moves
ZZ Top – Rhythmeen
Joel Hoekstra – The Moon is Falling

Ray, nice pull and huge props for Laethora's "The March of the Parasite" - love that album (and the new one's not that bad either).

It's been a while since I've listened to tDEP's "Miss Machine" - grabbed that one of the shelf for this week's playlist.

Metal Mark said...

Panzer Bastard-Centurion
Post Mortem-several
Executioner-In the name of metal
Kublai Khan-Annihilation
Fu Manchu-King of the road
The Tards-Guillotine
Blitzkrieg-A time of changes
Witchrist-Beheaded Ouroboros
Scale the summit-The collective
Amulance-Feel the pain
Holocross-s/t
Bang-Mother/Bow to the king
Amon Amarth-Surtur Rising
Genocide-Submit to Genocide
Nasty Tendencey-Hello Suckers

taotechuck said...

Brazzaville? Damn... where'd that come from, Ray? Seriously, they are one of my all-time favorite bands. What did you think of it? East LA Breeze isn't one of my favorite albums, but 2002 and Rouge on Pockmarked Cheeks are definitely in my top 50.

Kind of a blah week for me, haven't really been in the mood to listen to music, but I'm still working my way through the Elton John records.

A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels...
Cee-Lo Green - The Lady Killer
Freestylers - FabricLive.19
Elton John - s/t
Elton John - Madman Across The Water
Elton John - Honky Chateau

taotechuck said...

CJK, I listened to MMJ last week but I don't have It Still Moves. Is that a good one?

Also, nice to see some others listening to Elton also. Any thoughts on Union?

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Bob, I've heard "Victim of Love" is a bit painful, hahaha

Dpth, at least we hit a BTBAM tangent together, even if by inheritance of your project, lol

cjk, thanks, I've always admired that Laethora album and ditto for "Miss Machine." I know a lot of people were angry by it, but it transformed my initial opinion of DEP from when I saw them live and was more focused upon how much they ran around the stage and on top of the amps than I was their ratchety grind. "Miss Machine" alerted me that these guys are hugely talented...it helped that I was really picking through BTBAM's albums and dissecting them in my ear so I then appreciated DEP more...that's the only Deftones album I don't have, but it's gotten raves...your thoughts?

Chuck, I got sent Brazzaville as a promo and though I didn't get to cover it, I was really intrigued by it. I should definitely "Rouge" if you glow on it.

Mark, cool picks on Executioner, Kublai Khan and Blitzkrieg...I think I still have KK but haven't heard the other two in ages.

cjk_44 said...

Chuck, MMJ are still new to me. One of my neighbors spoke highly of the band and it's been interesting for me to hear what they are all about. I'd say if you like MMJ's other stuff "Still It Moves" will be quite enjoyable.

Ray, I've recently been getting back into Deftones. Loved the first two albums, then Deftones dropped off my radar screen while I was off listening to Dark Tranquillity, Porcupine Tree, etc. But I wanted to go back and hear how the Deftones' curiosity and bravery translated with their subsequent efforts. The "B-Sides" are impressive to say the least. I'm also a fan of metal bands covering unconventional songs - and Deftones are certainly excellent at choosing interesting tracks to cover.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

cool, I've always dug the Deftones, but Diamond Eyes was really superlative stuff, so I was eager to what's next before they tap out the rest of Eros...covers albums piss me off sometimes, but a handful are rare gems and theirs sounds like one.