The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 3/30/11

Greetings, friends, welcome to another midweek checkpoint of your listening pleasures!

Being back to work is a thankful sigh of relief. Nothing sobers you to reality than facing the unemployment line. I was only out for a month and grateful something came up, but I went at my search with relentless devotion. It doesn't always mean you'll get a job with such a quick turnaround, not in this economy and tech-altered landscape, but perseverence is your weapon. In the time I was laid off, I kept to a similar schedule of working and pumped out nearly 200 resumes and I networked through every thread of business and entertainment I'm affiliated with and even in those I've yet to take on. I got dressed like I was on the job and filled my travel mug with coffee most days, as if nothing had changed in my life. Mind over mattter, people.

Unless you're in the medical profession, there's not exactly a plethora of opportunities, though the job postings are galore. Do be careful out there, job seekers, because there are traps by what I've come to call "scummers." They're lurking everywhere, particularly at Craigslist and I would say if a job domain comes up that you've never heard of, approach with caution. Spam is the least offense that'll come your way. Job hunting today has been morphed into a new beast, so don't expect to run your search strictly through the newspaper ads, which have shriveled like Shrinky Dinks.

I kept a log of my job hunting each day and looking at it right now, I can't believe I attacked from so many sources with only a handful of hits that didn't pan out anyway. Do your homework, be brave and stay strong. Play lots of music while you hunt and stay the hell away from the tube, unless you're watching the ads on the Monster job seeking channel. Take a short break for lunch or to go for a walk, then get back in there. Most of all, believe in yourself, even on the days when your inbox is empty. Jab, jab, jab like the world is a speed bag. Do not give up and become a statistic.

That being said, I've worked some long hours in the past couple weeks since getting hired and I'm falling flat on my face each night. My right hand Devin Walsh was on vacay in the same timeframe, but we're both getting energized and ready to bring you some goodies in the upcoming week. We both have album reviews for you and I'm whirling through The Complete History of The Return of the Living Dead book for an upcoming write-up here at The Metal Minute. You will be here, of course, yes?

Also, please note that because of the changing formats in music consumption, i.e. MP3, digital albums and the resurrection of vinyl, I feel it's now pertinent to change the "CD Review" section to "Album Review." Same gig as usual, but if you're leafing through our past reviews here on the site, that's what's up.

Cry tough, friends...



The Clash - Give 'em Enough Rope
The Clash - Sandinista
Between the Buried and Me - Alaska
Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect
Vicious Rumors - Razorback Killers
Kingdom Come - Rendered Waters
Blade Runner soundtrack
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls
Deftones - Diamond Eyes

16 comments:

taotechuck said...

I haven't listened to Deftones since White Pony, but I loved those first few records. Are the newer ones worth hearing?

Still trying to work through the Elton John records. I'm realizing that, with the exception of a few mind-blowing songs, I don't care much for him.

Drake is my guilty pleasure for this week. "Shut It Down" got stuck in my head and I could not shake it. That song is like musical crack.

Brazzaville - Rouge on Pockmarked Cheeks
Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda
Elton John - Honky Chateau
Elton John - Peachtree Road
Elton John - Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Drake - Thank Me Later
Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner
Tricky - Knowle West Boy
Prince - Graffiti Bridge
Prince - Dirty Mind
Prince - Around the World in a Day
James Ehnes - Korngold, Barber & Walton Violin Concertos

bob_vinyl said...

Elton John - Elton John
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection
Elton John - Honky Chateau
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Clutch - Elephant Riders
Mike Watt - Hyphenated-Man

Ray, were you on an "underrated Clash albums" kick there? Give 'Em Enough Rope seems to get forgotten after being sandwiched between their debut (in the UK anyway) and London Calling. Sandinista suffers a bit more for its own shortcomings, but there's a lot of great material on there that gets pulled down by a relatively small number of bad tracks (considering it's a triple LP).

DPTH International said...

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey Soundtrack
Black Knight (CAN)- S/T
Black Knight (NLD)-Tales From the Dark Side
Black Sabbath-S/T, Masters Of Reality, Paranoid,Headless Cross,Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Tyr and Live at the Hammersmith Odeon
Blackguard-Profugus Mortis
Blackmore's Night-Shadow of the Moon, The Village Lantern, Secret Voyage
Blatant Disarray-Everyone Dies Alone
Bleach (USA)- Discography

I finally picked up a copy of Amorphis' "Far From The Sun". I like it. It's probably my favourite of the "middle" Amorphis albums, before they drifted back into the progressive death metal arena.

Metal Mark said...

Kingdom Come? Good one, Ray. Oh, wait it's not April 1st yet. So I guess you really were listening to them.

For me...
Jaguar-Power Games
Kickers-Innit
Argus-both
Panzer Bastard-Centurion
Hallows Eve-Tales of terror
Scale the summit-The collective
Executioner-In the name of metal
Motley Crue-Too fast for love
Steve Vai-Flex-able
Beehoover-Concrete Catalyst
Fu Manchu-In search of...
Diamond Head-Lightning to the nations
Aura-Deliverance
Led Zeppelin-The houses of the holy
Honcho-Battle of wits

cjk_44 said...

Trap Them – Darker Handcraft
Amon Amarth – Surtur Rising
Lunatic Soul – Lunatic Soul II
Between the Buried and Me – The Great Misdirect
Between the Buried and Me – Colors
Between the Buried and Me – Alaska
The Dillinger Escape Plan – Miss Machine
Amorphis – Eclipse
Borknagar – Epic
Tiamat – Wildhoney
Soundgarden – Live on I-5
Soundgarden – Badmotorfinger
Anathema – A Fine Day to Exit
Pearl Jam – Charlotte, NC 8/4/2000
David Gilmour – On An Island
Derek & the Dominoes – Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
Jenny Lewis – Acid Tongue
Kris Kristofferson – Closer to the Bone
Nine Inch Nails w/ Dillinger Escape Plan – “Wish” @ Perth, Australia 2009

Watching: Mastodon – “Live at the Aragon”

Ray, tJ&MC were constantly being played in my dorm at college.

Chuck, all Deftones is worth hearing. the latest "Diamond Eyes" is particularly great.

Bob, nice to see Mike Watt on your list. Minutemen songs were a staple in the college dorm I was in.

DPTH, so you got "Far From the Sun." does that make your Amorphis collection complete?

Mark, are you liking "The Collective" so far?

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Mark, not only did I really listen to Kingdom Come, I booked Lenny for a Take 5. 13 albums KC has now, can you believe it? Though this one has mostly re-recordings and three new ones, Lenny skipped the obvious choices to redo and it's not a bad album at all.

Chuck, the s/t Deftones is strong in the beginning then gets a little murky. Saturday Night Wrist is powerful in the beginning then gets a little lost. HOWEVER, Diamond Eyes is fantabulous. Totally recommended. I haven't heard their covers album yet. You mean, you didn't go to see Elton John when he was in town last week? I never tracked down Drake, though I love NICK Drake. I remember the other Drake, though. Always happy seeing Prince on anybody's list.

Bob, yeah, seriously, I went on a Clash hangover on those two albums in the past week. I agree with you. Rope (and London Calling), I think, is the reason Springsteen loves them...there's certain parallels I think he found in that album for his stuff within the same time period. Sandinista really is a weird album and I'd chuck out a handful of tunes, but out of 36 songs? It's a damned fine piece of work overall. Flawed masterpiece, yep.

Dpth, I remember not liking that Bill & Ted film much but digging the music, and I don't think that Amorphis album is bad at all if you can take your mind out of who that band is, which has really been a case of evolution. I think Elegy is pretty underrated in transition.

cjk, your list is the size of mine before I went back to work, and I got into Jesus and Mary Chain late, when Automatic came out and I really dug them on 120 Minutes. That was obviously more polished than their first two albums, though Psychocandy is like the ultimate wakeup album, you know? I know every college in America was on them.

taotechuck said...

Thanks for the tip on Diamond Eyes. I've got a gift certificate for Sound Garden (my local indie shop) that's burning a hole in my pocket, so I think I'll pick that up, along with a used copy of Fur if I can find it.

And CJK, what did you think of Acid Tongue?

taotechuck said...

Oh yeah, Ray... if you're on a JAMC kick, give a listen to A Place to Bury Strangers. One of my favorite bands of the past few years, and very much in the JAMC vein (but better, in my opinion).

cjk_44 said...

Chuck, i forgot to mention "Acid Tongue" to you. i only spun it once and i liked it although i'm sure i missed a lot of nuances (i was in the car - i hear music best through headphones). i guess i'm not a huge fan of whatever constitutes *indie* music these days, but i'm sure i'll appreciate it more as i get repeated listens in. it was neat to learn that Jenny Lewis was in Rilo Kiley (sp?) b/c that's another act i've never heard b/c i don't have enough time to listen to it all!

Metal Mark said...

CJK-The collective is stunning. I'm not always big on prog rock, but Scale the summit are one of those bands where I like everything that they have done.

devin said...

I don't get it either man...there is an absurd amount of "job listings" out there....but nothing comes to fruition...I like to think I'm not an idiot and have something to offer to a job opportunity, but maybe I'm wrong...I was certainly there sending out 10000 resumes etc... to no avail...tough times...glad something came through for ya

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Chuck, hope you dig it as much as we did. Thanks for the tip on A Place to Bury Strangers. I'll look out for 'em.

I do like Scale the Summit and they're very nice guys, so I'll need to get on that download soon.

Devin, I don't envy anybody looking for a job these days. I came into a recession back in '93 and struggled for a bit until I hooked up with a temp agency who placed me everywhere until I got picked up by Bank of Baltimore late the same year. I think job hunters have so much more to consider these days than just the ads. It's a huge challenge now with so many dirtbags posing as legit employers when all they're doing is phishing or trying to hack you. But what do you do when you need a job, right? You hunker down, study what's happening and punch through the muck. Not easy, but it has to be done.

Metal Mark said...

Ray-Yes, Ray downlaod STS for sure. I am sure you got a download of the new one from Argus too so do yourself a favor and download that one soon too.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Cool, I downloaded STS last night but will have to troll through my backlog for Argus. Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the new BTBAM EP from Metal Blade last night. It's just as great as anything else they done. Half hour at 3 songs. Grab that one, for sure, dude. The new Pentagram is there on their site too.

DPTH International said...

CKJ - Yes this now completes my collection of Amorphis albums. I'll always prefer their early work on the first three albums, but the new stuff is pretty good. I saw them Live (Last year?) anywho, they kicked ass. Absolutley incredible.

Ray- I enjoyed the Bill & Ted films. Cheesy fun, but I love the soundtrack. A lot of great tunes

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I liked the first Bill and Ted a lot. The Bogus Journey didn't hit the same chord with me, though I still think them playing Death in a game of Twister is a riot!