The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 4/27/11

Hola, readers, hope you all are faring well in the midst of tornadoes, downpours, floods and all of Mother Nature's temper tantrums.

I want to thank a friend of mine in the biz (you know who you are) for the generous gift of The Return of the Living Dead soundtrack after our convo about my review of The Complete History of The Return of the Living Dead book here at The Metal Minute. I have oodles of kind and supportive connections in the music racket, but this was special. If you're a music journalist, you know the thank yous come sparingly and most frequently with just the two-word salutation. Gratification comes from self when you write for the music industry, but in this case, one of my closer clients pulled a stunt I'll never forget. Never did I expect to see a follow-through to my words, "I'm a fool for not owning The Return of the Living Dead soundtrack. I got the score for the third film for a buck in a store closing sale, but the original is boss." Again, you know who you are and I think you're boss. Thank you, with every emphasis of those two words I can force into them.

I'm finally blazing (no pun intended) through Dave Mustaine's autobiography, which I got for Christmas and it's interesting to see just who the guy I was rooting for back in the day between the Megadeth-Metallica wars. If you haven't read it, check it out. It's honest, decadent and frequently hilarious. The Billy Ray Cyrus tirade and the anecdote about a flower delivery boy telling a hospital nurse they had Megadeth in the hospital (moreso the nurse's clueless response) are priceless. As a sidebar, it was my mom who gave me Mustaine as a gift. It's been many moons since I lived at home, but I'm very close with my family and I still marvel how well my mother knows me. Who else in this world had a parent give them a book about a heavy metal figurehead? Mom, you too are boss.

Stay glued here for upcoming reviews of Brian Robertson, The Rods and more fun 'n frivolity. Cheers...



Return of the Living Dead soundtrack
Thomas Giles - Pulse
Brian Robertson - Diamonds and Dirt
Megadeth - Peace Sells But Who's Buying?
Megadeth - So Far, So Good...So What?
Megadeth - Youthanasia
Megadeth - Cryptic Writings
Ghost - Opus Eponymous
Tiger Army - s/t
Tiger Army - II: The Power of Moonlite
Tiger Army - III: Ghost Tigers Rise
Tiger Army - Music From Regions Beyond
Millions - Gather Scatter
In This Moment - The Dream
Tombs - s/t
ZZ Top - Eliminator
Paul Simon - So Beautiful Or So What
Eagles of Death Metal - Death By Sexy...
Radiohead - The King of Limbs
Psychedelic Furs - s/t
Kraftwerk - Electric Cafe
Earth, Wind and Fire - Greatest Hits Vol. I and II
Traveling Wilburys - Vol. 1
Traveling Wilburys - Vol. 3
Go Go's - Vacation

8 comments:

Metal Mark said...

Dr. Know-Best of, This island earth and Wreckage in flesh
Cryptic Slaughter-First three
COC-Eye for eye, Six songs with Mike singing, Animosity
Pentagram-Last Rites
Between the Buried and Me-The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues
Monster Coyote-Stoner to the boner
Winterius-In carbon Mysticism
Samhain-Initium and November coming fire

taotechuck said...

Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun
Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa
Gregory Isaacs - Night Nurse
Silver Mt. Zion - Kollaps Tradixionales
Tim Hecker - An Imaginary Country
Radiohead - Kid A
MFSB - Love Is the Message (Best Of)
Weakerthans - Reunion Tour

cjk_44 said...

Between the Buried and Me – The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues
Foo Fighters – Wasting Light
Born of Osiris – The Discovery
Forbidden – Omega Wave
The Black Dahlia Murder – Unhallowed
Suffocation – Blood Oath
Chris Caffery – Faces
Fates Warning – Disconnected
Iced Earth – Something Wicked This Way Comes
Manmade God – s/t
The Duskfall – Lifetime Supply of Guilt
Forty Days Longing – The Head of the Demon
Warrior Soul – Last Decade Dead Century
Yes – 90125
AC/DC – Fly on the Wall
Van Halen – s/t
Mad Season – s/t
Cave In – Antenna
The Orb – Metallic Spheres
David Baerwald – Triage
Buddy Guy – Damn Right I Got the Blues
Eric Clapton – Back Home

Watching: NHL Playoffs

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Sorry I missed responding to you fellas last week. Thanks for your loyalty. :)

Mark, it's been ages since I've heard Dr. Know, but what a great band. I still need to listen to Pentagram though I downloaded it awhile ago.

Chuck, low production from you this week, brohter, lol... I meant to comment last week about the Dead and how I've been forced to reassess them when I wrote them off for most of my life as a drug band with no value. I was wrong, like I was about Skynard, Rush, Zep and Bad Company when I was a teenager, blowing them off because mostly the rednecks in school liked them. Now I count a ton of rednecks as my friends and I'm glad I came around on those bands after time.

cjk, you and I are the same person, I swear, from 90125 to The Orb to Buddy Guy to BTBAM...right the fuck on!!!

taotechuck said...

Yeah, I dismissed the Dead a long time ago based almost entirely on the people who liked them, so it's strange to go back and realize I was completely wrong. Funny how we so often let a band's fans determine whether or not we like the actual band.

CJK, I've been on an anti-Yes tirade for the past several years, but 90125 still has a special place in my heart. I don't know if it's just nostalgia, or if it's actually a decent album. How did it sound on your recent listen?

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I agree with that, Chuck, and though I only have a Dead hits comp, I really should investigate further at some point in time. I am also a huge fan of 90125. Nostalgia, yes, there's some, but that is a damned fine album. "Cinema" is one of Yes' greatest instrumentals in my opinion, and it's shy of about 7 minutes of their usual in instumentals :) Love love love 90125, despite the lineup controversy.

cjk_44 said...

Chuck, Yes is one of those bands that until recently i really only knew the "hits". I listened to 90125 from beginning to end for the first time last week. I know it's history and origins as non-Yes album, but in the end I think it is a high quality, accessible, solid album that should be considered as a great Yes album.

xl pharmacy said...

Excellent this is what I like the hard sounds when I can feel out of control, i THINK IT HAS been one of the best blogs I've gotten.