The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 5/18/11

Hiya, readers, hope you're movin' and groovin' in these strange days.

Prayers out to the folks in cajun country who are getting washed away as sacrificial lambs in the Mississippi fiasco. My stepfather isn't creole, but he certainly learned how to cook in their ways and I relished the cajun chops he made for my birthday this past week, though I did keep the poor souls in the bayou in mind and heart.

We'll keep the maudlin to a minimum and I just want to say a big thank you to the overwhelming amount of birthday wishers at Facebook and elsewhere. A special shout-out to my office sista Jen for making me a hellagood strawberry shortcake with pudding on the actual day. I won't soon forget that gesture. Thanks to the wifey for her special lasagna on my day and of course, my little man for the card he made me. Thanks also to the Smithwicks bottles for still being in the fridge. Bless all of ya.

Coming up here at ye olde Metal Minute, more of the same madness you've come to expect including a look at the forthcoming Sepultura album, Kairos. Be there or be nowhere...



Zombi - Surface to Air
Byzantine - The Fundamental Component
Byzantine - Oblivion Beckons
Sepultura - Kairos
Sepultura - Chaos A.D.
Sepultura - Against
Sepultura - A-lex
Twisted Sister - Under the Blade Special Edition
Quicksand - Slip
Quicksand - Manic Compression
The Sword - Age of Winters
Artillery - My Blood
The Who - The Who Sell Out
Them Crooked Vultures - s/t
Southern Culture On the Skids - Dirt Track Date
The Cars - s/t
The Cars - Candy O
The Cars - Move Like This
Nazareth - Big Dogs
Sisters of Mercy - Floodland
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mothers Milk
Red Hot Chili Peppers - One Hot Minute
Brian Setzer Orchestra - Songs From Lonely Avenue
Six Feet Under soundtrack
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
X - Los Angeles
X - Wild Gift
Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years
Link Wray - Rumble! The Best of Link Wray

8 comments:

cjk_44 said...

Blut Aus Nord – 777:Sect(s)
Torche – Songs for Singles
Abysmal Dawn – Leveling the Plane of Existence
Xerath – I
Nasum – Helvete
Judas Priest – Demolition
Moonspell – The Antidote
Illogicist – Subjected
Soilwork – A Predator’s Portrait
Savatage – Streets: A Rock Opera
Entombed – Same Difference
Life of Agony – Soul Searching Sun
Lacuna Coil – In A Reverie
The Cars – Move Like This
Chris Duarte Group – Infinite Energy
Indigenous – Things We Do
Robert Plant – Pictures at Eleven
David Bowie – Heroes
Wilco – Wilco (the Album)

Watching: NHL Playoffs

Ray, nice pick with the Quicksand albums; it's great inspiration for this week!

Devin said...

im def. listening to BTBAM

taotechuck said...

Lots going on this week, not much time for listening.

Dr. Dog - Shame, Shame
U2 - Achtung Baby
U2 - Francois K remixes of War tracks and Jacknife Lee remixes of Vertigo
Xiu Xiu - The Air Force
Cee-Lo Green - The Lady Killer
Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead
Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses
Krafty Kuts - FabricLive.34

Metal Mark said...

Iron Maiden-From fear to eternity
Gypsy Pistolero (now a solo act)-The last pistolero
Hanoi Rocks-all
Alberto Rigoni-Afterbirth
Argus-Boldly stride the doomed
Nether Regions-Into the breech
Peppermint Creeps-We R the weidoz and Animatron X
Queenie Blast Pop-Punky demos and the Terry demos
Orange Goblin-Boxed set
Blade Runner-Hunted
Descendant-Pass the ammunition
Karma to burn-V

DPTH International said...

Howdy Ray! First off, Happy belated birthday. I've been checking in on your blog, but have been inexcusably silent.

Still plugging away at my collection in alphabetical order. Well into the C's now. I have picked up a number of new albums which have also been getting a spin.

Acrassicauda - Only The Dead See The End Of The War
Battlelore - Doombound
Believer - Transhuman
Black Sabbath - Dehumanizer
The Chariot - discography
Charred Walls of the Damned - S/T
Children of Bodom - Something Wild, Hatebreeder , Follow the Reaper, Blooddrunk, Are you Dead Yet?, Skeletons In The Closet
Chrissy Steele - Magnet to Steele
Cinderella - Long Cold Winter
Circle To Circle - Discography
Cirith Ungol - discography
Classic Crime - Albatross
Clemency - Divine Legions At War, Spiritual Domination
Coma Void - Stormking Twilight
Comeback Kid - Wake the Dead
Communic - Conspiracy of Mind, Payment of Existence, Waves of Visual Decay

Take care!

taotechuck said...

Hey DPTH, you remind me of a question I've had for a while: what's the story with "Long Cold Winter"?

Putting aside the fact that my tastes are different than most people here, I've never understood the acclaim this album receives. Yeah, it's better than Cinderella's other records, but I don't hear anything that makes this album notably better than the countless other blues-rock albums that came out around the same time.

Can anyone explain why this album holds such a special place for people, especially for people who don't like anything else the band ever did?

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

cjk, Slip is one of the greatest albums ever recorded, in my humble opinion...I always tell this story that I thought they were Fugazi when I heard it at the record store and demanded they get me the new "Fugazi" album, which there wasn't at the time. It was until I said "What're we listening to that SOUNDS like Fugazi?" So began my love affair with Slip. Now I don't really think they sound like Fugazi at all, lol...

Devin, as I mentioned before, enjoy your journey with BTBAM because the never fail to take you on one.

Chuck, I understand too much going on. It's only because I can play CDs quietly at work that I have a stuffed playlist anymore. On regarding your Cinderella query, I'll offer this...

I HATED that album when it came out because I was Mr. Rock and Mr. Metal, don't fuck with it. I like Night Songs a lot and was pissed Cinderella went the direction they did. Later, however, I grew to realize the LCW and Heartbreak Station are much better albums than Night Songs. I think their embracement of blues, delta slide, southern boogie and classic rock actually did them a favor. I think "Don't Know What You've Got" struck a chord with so many fans as much as it opened many jeans fasteners back in the day. It's a nostalgic song about nostalgia and damn, it still speaks. Those are my two cents, anyway.

Dpth, glad to see you, bro. Does me proud to know you're only in the C's. :)

Mark, I was hoping you got onto that Orange Goblin box set. I don't have time to download the whole thing since I'm only in my office "x" amount of time, but I'm sure it's awesome. Shame about Gp being a solo act only, though Lee sent me an email I need to respond to.

DPTH International said...

Cinderella's Long Cold Winter is more nostalgia for me. I really enjoy it and played my tape copy a lot when I was younger. At the time I was listening to a lot of "Hair" bands since the nineties was when I really started coming into my own, music wise.

I honestly haven't listened to any of the other Cinderella albums. This is not a dis or suggesting that LCW is superior, I just never did. And then I moved onto bigger and metaller things

I like LCW simply because it has some good memorable tunes and kept me rocking during an influential time in my life. Nothing more then that.