The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 7/27/11

Waddup, beloved readers? What a whirlwind kind of week news-wise, eh?

First and foremost, condolences and respect out to our brothers and sisters in Norway. I usually get to read happier reports on Norwegian bands and athletes. Truly sad to see such an appalling act of cowardice as what transpired. May you all find peace. Fred, my friends...

The passing of Amy Winehouse is a tragedy most folks are shrugging off. It's apparent she wrote her own checkout ticket due to her extreme and excessive conduct offstage, and her death serves as yet another reminder why substance abuse and fame make deadly bedpartners. I had the opportunity to see Amy in concert a few summers ago and we were only joking at the time at how much she slurred, swayed and flubbed a few lines while her backup band valiantly saved the set. This was before the music press keyed in on her addiction and blew it through the roof. No wonder some people have a hard time kicking the habit. I wish that inebriated performance wasn't the lasting impression I had of Amy Winehouse since it's obvious she had much more to give.

Football season is back, but be careful which of your jerseys you choose to dust off for the new season, since the cuts are coming, the salary cap is collecting contracts and quite likely some of your favorite players are headed elsewhere. Let's hope all of the dumb arrests and foot-in-mouth incidents get curbed. Not bloody likely, though. I'll admit to being a Steelers fan since 1984 and I've never been more embarassed of the team as a whole for acting like a bunch of punks over the past few years with miscreant behavior and pointless trash-talking unfitting of 6-time champions. Shame on you, Steelheads. Keep your crap out of the public and out of the press. Mad love to Polamalu, Heath Miller and Coach Tomlin (and props to Big Ben for taking his on-field punishment like a man last year), though Tomlin needs to step down on the team with a zero tolerance for these meathead shenanigans. We're all human, but this is a plague of lame behavior that's costing the image of a team with probably the second biggest fan base behind Dallas. Where I live, they're Public Enemy #1 and you risk your life being a Steelers fan. There was a time when you risked your life being a Metallica fan in the mid-eighties. At this point, I'm going to be content there's a season and forget investing my allegiance to anybody--as I do hockey.

Coming up at The Metal Minute, we'll continue previously-stated agenda and add the latest crunch-o-matic fun from Totimoshi, new joints from Chelsea Grin and Grifter, the reissue of Bitch's Be My Slave/Damnation Alley and more.

Be well, people...




In Flames - Sounds of a Playground Fading
Iron Claw - A Different Game
Arch Enemy - Khaos Legions
Dragonlord - Black Wings of Destiny
Flotsam and Jetsam - No Place for Disgrace
Flotsam and Jetsam - Cuatro
Bitch - Be My Slave/Damnation Alley
Totimoshi - The Avenger
Zombie Shaker Box - Encrypted
Girlschool - The Collection
Pro-Pain - Act of God
Mindflow - With Bare Hands
Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry 25th Anniversary edition
Twisted Sister - Love is For Suckers
Twisted Sister - Club Daze Vol. 1: The Studio Sessions
Matadors - The Muse of Senor Ray
Matadors - Flame the Whisper
Grifter - s/t
Ride - Nowhere
Ride - Going Blank Again
Depeche Mode - Sounds of the Universe
Flogging Molly - Speed of Darkness
Raphael Saadiq - Stone Rollin'

6 comments:

taotechuck said...

I'm back on the Dead, trying to make my way through their catalog. It takes a looooooong time, and I've only included about a half-dozen bootlegs.

Ray, you might want to check out Elizabeth Anka Vajagic. Voice is similar to PJ Harvey, but music is very dark and stretched out. This EP has 3 tracks, 2 of which are over 12 minutes. Good stuff.

Grateful Dead - s/t (1967)
Grateful Dead - Dick's Picks vol. 22
Grateful Dead - From the Mars Hotel
Grateful Dead - Dick's Picks vol. 12
Grateful Dead - Blues for Allah
Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station
Grateful Dead - To Terrapin
Tanya Donelly - Beauty Sleep
Elizabeth Anka Vajagic - Nostagia/Pain
Scott Henry - Buzz: Sounds of the Nation's Capital

cjk_44 said...

Arch Enemy – Khaos Legions
The Black Dahlia Murder – Ritual
Amorphis – The Beginning of Times
Mogwai – Special Moves
Metallica – Master of Puppets
In Flames – Lunar Strain
In Flames – Subterranean
Bloodbath – Nightmares Made Flesh
Anthrax – Stomp 442
Spiritual Beggars – s/t
The Hellacopters – Supershitty to the Max!
Jimi Hendrix – South Saturn Delta
Queen – A Night at the Opera
Keb’ Mo’ – Just Like You
Robbie Robertson – s/t
Billy Squier – Don’t Say No

Watching: “Bloodbath Over Bloodstock”

Reading: “Life” by Keith Richards

Ray, nice pull with Dragonlord. I love "Rapture" but I never did pick up "Black Wings of Destiny."

DPTH International said...

Hey Ray,

There are certainly a lot of "Dragon" bands out there. I have a weakness for fantasy themed power metal. Dragonheart is probably my favourite. Great band with Dragonland a close 2nd. I've always meant to check out Dragonlord, mostly because of Eric Peterson. They kind of fell off my radar though. Will have to give them a spin.

Dream Theater - rest of Studio albums from Metropolis Pt 2 onward.
Dream Child - Reaching The Golden Gates
The Drums - S/T
Dunedain - S/T
Dungeon- A Rise To Power
The Dying Effect - Bleed the Night
Earth Crisis - Destroy The Machines , Last of the Sane
Echoes of Eternity - The Forgotten Goddess , As Shadows Burn
Eddi Antonini - When Water Becomes Ice
Edenbridge - Sunrise In Eden

Also: Concept of God - Visions
Falconer - Armod
These Kids Wear Crowns - S/T
Rhapsody of Fire - From Chaos to Eternity
Sepultura - Kairos
Suidakra - The Book of Dowth

Metal Mark said...

Discharge-Desensitise and War Casualties re-issues
War Babies-s/t
Iron Angel-Hellish Crossfire
Sigh-Scorn Defeat
Le Mans-On the streets
Fresh Blueberry Pancake-Heavy
Boulder Damn-Mourning
Negative Approach-Total recall
Pestilence-Consuming Impulse
Halloween and Halloween 3 soundtracks
Forbidden Planet Soundtrack
Snake Nation-s/t

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Chuck, I'll keep an ear out for her as I really, really dig PJ Harvey. Still haven't heard Let England Shake. It's funny, PJ has a whole enclave of acolytes out there I end up half guessing myself on 89.7 on some of those artists. I will eventually tap into the Dead when the budget allots again.

cjk, I thought Dragonlord was a damned fine effort and had a great interview with Eric for this album. At this point, I've interviewed almost all of Testament except for Chuck Billy, whom I came across in a hotel lobby and he nodded at me with a smile when I didn't bust him. So, what are your thoughts on Arch Enemy since you got to them as you'd hoped? Speaking of Anthrax, I'm geeking because my press rep sent me Worship Music well ahead of release date. Whooo!!!

Dpth, I figured you were well into the fantasy epic metal given what I've seen come through your "project" lists. Dragonlord is sheer black metal, though, so take it as a caveat, though don't miss them, either, since it's awesome stuff.

Mark, do you like the Halloween III soundtrack? I love it and think it's well underrated.

cjk_44 said...

Ray, while I have liked the past few AE efforts it just seems like a lot more thought/effort was put into "Khaos Legions." consequently, i am enjoying quite a bit.

i can't say i'm a huge Anthrax fan, but i did enjoy listening to "Stomp 442" seeing as I hadn't probably listened to it in 3 or 4 years!