The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Metal Minute's 100 Metal Albums You Can't Live Without: Post Discussion




As I mentioned when starting this list, I'm not the kind to put myself out there unless I really believe in what I'm doing. "Lists" should always come with the caveat of subjectivity because they only speak directly for those who compile them. They don't necessarily include the opinions of all because what we regard as universal truths will always be subject to scrutiny by a few or a lot of people with differing thoughts. It's why we're human.

Still, I did make the attempt to keep my readership in mind when generating a compendium of this nature. You have to include Guns n' Roses, Metallica and Pantera even if you're like me, the kind of guy who both loves and loathes radio. I'm a little mamby pamby, I'll admit, when it comes to radio. I'd be thrilled to pieces to accept an on-air gig, yet the nature of nurture FM can milk out of a single song has ruined my everyday appreciation of the aforementioned groups.

Nevertheless, Appetite for Destruction needs to be here. Master of Puppets needs to be here. Vulgar Display of Power needs to be here. You have to acknowledge the contributions of the artists who walloped the world with their craft and despite their mass appeal, you can't turn a snooty nose away from them, no matter how "street" you want to appear as a rock critic.

On the other end of the spectrum, I found it difficult having to slice out other albums I would consider mandatory to metal's evolution. You may or may not agree, but I consider the Scorpions' Lovedrive, Def Leppard's High 'n Dry and the self-titled debut by Metal Church to be worthy albums of the genre. Even if Def Leppard went pop from Hysteria on out, High 'n Dry and Pyromania are stellar albums. The Scorpions scored big with a handful of crossover cuts (of which two are played on the radio to the tune of a mondo glut) but that doesn't mean they're not an important band. Lovedrive was originally on this list and sadly got trimmed, no disrespect intended. I still think fondly of my interview with Mathias Jabs and almost feel the need to apologize to him and the band as they too, along with Judas Priest, bid us farewell.

As I stacked albums on my desk for consideration, I came across many underground bands I felt should at least be in contention for this list. Gonin-Ish, Korpiklaani, Long Distance Calling, Made Out of Babies, Darsombra, Blind Illusion, Wolves in the Throne Room, Agalloch, Rosetta, Mouth of the Architect, My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Bloodbath, Iwrestledabearonce, Nachtmystium...all bands I wish could've made it. I wanted Arch Enemy, Unearth and Shadows Fall to make the cut, and I'm sure there are many of you out there gritting your teeth having not seen them here.

Sometimes I picked albums where the artist had better selections. WASP's The Headless Children, for example. Should it have been on here? Oh, hell yes, it should've. Incredible album, as is WASP's The Crimson Idol, but in those cases, it came down to what should be considered indisposable by everyone who digs the genre, not necessarily a biased pick--and assuredly, this list is well-biased. If it wasn't biased, Iron Maiden (whom I consider the greatest metal band on the planet) wouldn't have had four picks, Priest three, Anthrax three, etc. This bias, however, was countered by how much of a cultural impact I felt the albums delivered.

Again, all subjective and honestly, this was a pain in the ass to hedge down, albeit it was a labor of love, as the colloquialism goes. I needed a break from reviewing as some new projects are being pitched my way. This was a fun diversion and a way to get my steam gathered up again.

So that being said, I hope you enjoyed The Metal Minute's 100 Albums You Can't Live Without and I invite everyone to express your thoughts here and offer up some of your choices for albums no metalhead should be caught dead without. The feedback I've been given to this point has turned up familiar names and a lot of obscure ones. Subjectivity at its best.

As always, I thank you for your continued support of The Metal Minute...

7 comments:

Metal Mark said...

I don't grit teeth, I just speak my peace. So here you go.

Make a list of honorable mentions or call it "bands I left out so I could include Cannibal Corpse and Quiet Riot". Just kidding.

I already talked about the Scorps and I agree on Metal Church's debut and High n' dry. Did you leave off Pyromania too? If so it's a better album than Metal Health which you did include.

Others to be considered would be-
More Motorhead-did they only get one here while Overkill got two?
Executioner-In the name of metal
-Way better than Whiplash's Power and pain
Motley Crue-Shout at the devil-Metal Health and Tooth and nail are more important than this one?
Raven-Any of the first three studio albums.
Aerosmith-Rocks or Toys in the attic, dude you think the Runaways are more essential than Aerosmith?
Ted Nugent-Cat Scratch Fever
Cirith Ungol-Also any of the first three. Such an overlooked band.
Ratt-Out of the cellar
Sleep-Sleep's Holy mountain-You had a couple of doom albums but most of stoner rock was far more recent. This album helped spawn a lot of the stoner rock going on today.
Diamond Head-Borrowed Time-Way more important to NWOBHM than Girlschool
Metallica-Ride the lightning
Armored Saint-any would be good, way better real American metal than Manowar
Exciter-any of the first three, I prefer them to Annihilator and they helped form the thrash sound.
Sodom-Persectuion Mania-I know you did include Destruction and Kreator, but I happen to like Sodom better than Destruction.
Budgie-In for the kill or Never turn your back on a friend
Electric Wizard-any would be fine
Sir Lord Baltimore-Either of the first two
Pentagram-Day of reckoning-Saint Vitus deserved a spot, but Pentagram are way more important to doom.
More MK2 Deep Purple
Whitesnake-Slide it in-Better than Deep Purple's Burn.
Dark Angel-We have arrived
Possessed-Seven Chruches
Slaughter-Strappado
Napalm Death-one of their early albums would work-was their any grindcore on this list?
Celtic Frost-Into the pandemonium
King Diamond-Abigail
Medieval-Medieval Kills
and...
No crossover albums. You had like three post metal albums and no crossover albums. I know it was brief and not as trendy of a movement, but surely there is room for Dealing with it or Animosity.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

LOL, well, at least you've been an active participant.

On the original list I had the following:

Shout at the Devil
Iron Fist
Overkill (Motorhead)
Raven
Ratt - EP
Sleep
March of the Saint
Exciter
Sodom - same pick
Seven Churches
Into the Pandemonium
Dark Angel - Leave Scars
Whitesnake - Saints and Sinners

As for crossover, I had SOD and DRI's Crossover (since I think Dealing With It is more punk/hardcore, albeit one of my favorite albums of all-time).

I agree Pentagram deserves on there, Cirith Ungol too. Executioner...well, you know, I dug them, we made friends with Marc Johnson, but Whiplash buries that one in my opinion, sorry.

Aerosmith and The Nuge are metal-in-arms, albeit to me more hard rock, even if we can argue the same for Van Halen I. The Runaways certainly had no presence against Aerosmith; they barely had a presence in the U.S. but they deserve in there for their guts and for leaning towards a metal sound, even if that was a point of contention between Lita and Joan.

I did pick King Diamond's Abigail in the first batch, BTW. Another one of my all-time favorites. Grindcore was represented by Dillinger Escape Plan and Between the Buried and Me, even if those bands have transcended mere grindcore. Cannibal Corpse is considered by some to be grind as well as death metal or "splat" metal. I also had Cattle Decapitation in the running for grind.

At the end of the day, I certainly appreciate your feedback and love that you're involved in such a passionate way, but the word "subjective" isn't used for cop-out purposes. It's simply my way of saying, here's what I think are 100 of the cream of the crop, not THE 100 of the cream of the crop. You have so many here, you should consider doing Heavy Metal Time Machine's 100 Essentials.

Metal Mark said...

"Aerosmith and The Nuge are metal-in-arms, albeit to me more hard rock, even if we can argue the same for Van Halen I."
KISS and AC/DC are more hard rock too but they made your list.

"As for crossover, I had SOD and DRI's Crossover (since I think Dealing With It is more punk/hardcore, albeit one of my favorite albums of all-time)."
Animosity is way better than those two albums and it's definitely a crossover album. If you had put SOD on this you would have had another comment from me about it.

I still think a more traditional grindcore album like something from Napalm Death or Carcass would have been appropriate and they are more influential in a longer range.

If you wanted a brutal older death type album then an early album from Obituary, Deicide or Morbid Angel would all be better than Cannibal Corpse.




"It's simply my way of saying, here's what I think are 100 of the cream of the crop, not THE 100 of the cream of the crop."

There are so many to consider that maybe it should have been 150. You have quite a few albums done in the last ten years. I don't know how you consider impact by a band, but for me I think less than ten years is a little hard to tell for some bands as to how much impact they have had on the scene in the long run. So I would tend to go for albums that have been out a little longer. With the idea being that I have seen their impact on their genre and had time to know that the album still holds up well ten or more years down the road. I am sure we have all had albums where we are dazzled by them at first and then five years later you go back and think well this was good but maybe not as great as I thought it was on the first go around.


"You have so many here, you should consider doing Heavy Metal Time Machine's 100 Essentials"
I would use essential instead I go with my top album lists and selfish they may be, but they would be my picks and I stand by them. No gearing them towards the views of others.
I have already done top ten albums by year for 1970 through to 1991. Each new year I do a top ten for twenty years ago which means my 1992 list will be out in January. I might consider doing all time top ten lists for sub genre at some time like doom, death metal, power metal, etc.

cjk_44 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cjk_44 said...

Ray, needless to say I loved your countdown of the essential 100 albums. It’s obvious you chose your picks carefully. Your understanding and appreciation of metal’s glorious rise is clear.

My perspective is a bit more modern and Euro/Scandinavia centric. Here are some of the acts you omitted from your list and their pivotal albums for possible debate as essential listening:

Meshuggah – Chaosphere
Cynic – Focus
Atheist – Unquestionable Presence
Blut Aus Nord – The Work Which Transforms God
Samael – Passage
Moonspell – Wolfheart
Tool – Undertow
Refused – The Shape of Punk to Come
Candiria – 300 Percent Density
Entombed – Wolverine Blues
At the Gates – Slaughter of the Soul
Tiamat – Wildhoney
Control Denied – The Fragile Art of Existence
Fates Warning – Perfect Symmetry

pharmacy said...

All this are my favorite albums

Ryan Logan said...

All this are my favorite albums