The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Whattya Listenin' to Wednesday - 9/21/11

Morning, fellow freakazoids! Welcome to another Wednesday check-in of your playlists. At the very least, welcome to the halfway point of the work week--or school week if that applies to you.

Last week began with immense promise as relates to a few personal projects and potential projects, then the week fell on its arse come the end. I lost the second of two Van Horn family members in the span of a month, and I'm still a bit shaken up, but as always, music is my savior and therapist and thus I fight on. Though the Grateful Dead occupied my ears most of the week, that certainly wasn't intended to provoke the karma wheel as my uncle passed away. To my Aunt Maxine and Uncle Carl, may you finally settle your differences in the afterlife and try to excuse whatever you see of me from your new vantage point of existence. I'm proud of who I am, but I know my subscription to life isn't for all tastes.

It doesn't help the following day we got stung with a monster car repair bill on my wife's vehicle that has been the bane of our existence the past few years. Once my wife can get rid of that piece of junk, I'm going to sledge the four-wheeled bitch, assuming it hasn't been traded in. And so it goes, and so it goes, and so it goes, like Nick Lowe (also figuring into my listening pleasures this week) would wag.

So with that, I'm hungry for a turnaround of fortunes this week and here at The Metal Minute we'll keep the machine rolling for your headbanging edification. Coming up in the immediate future we'll be checking out new joints from Primus, Doro Pesch, Hull, Black Pussy, Gary Moore, Wolves in the Throne Room, Chthonic, DC4, Crash Street Kids and Zeroking, not necessarily in that order.

I've received a ton of correspondence in email and tweeting form and I've been making all efforts to respond to each one of you. If I haven't, please stand by. I'm not ignoring you purposefully. You all are the real beautiful people, so don't change...




X - Under the Big Black Sun
Alice Cooper - Love it to Death
Alice Cooper - Alice Cooper Goes to Hell
Alice Cooper - Along Came a Spider
Alice Cooper - Welcome 2 My Nightmare
Landmine Marathon - Gallows
Saxon - Call to Arms
Primus - Green Naugahyde
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Black Pussy - s/t EP
Slough Feg - Hardworlder
Grateful Dead - The Grateful Dead
Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead
Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa
Grateful Dead - Wake of the Flood
Grateful Dead - Blues for Allah
Grateful Dead - From the Mars Hotel
Grateful Dead - In the Dark
Ratdog - Evening Moods
Kingfish - s/t
Peter Gabriel - Up
Saturday Night Fever soundtrack
Elvis Costello - When I Was Cruel
Nick Lowe - Quiet Please...The New Best of Nick Lowe

6 comments:

DPTH International said...

Hey Ray. Sorry to hear about your Uncle. That can't be easy for your Family. My condolences to you and your Family.

I'm still powering through the F's. Should be done by Friday.

Folkearth-By the sword of my Father, Drakkars In The Mist, Father of Victory, Fatherland, A Nordic Poem, Songs of Yore
Folkodia-Odes to the Past, in a Time of Legends
Folkvang-On the Wings Of Destiny
Forbidden-Twisted Into Form, Omega Wave
Forced Entry-Uncertain Future/The Shore EP
Forefather-Ours Is The Kingdom, Steadfast
Forgotten Tales-All The Sinners, We Shall See The Light
Fortid - Voluspa Part 1 & 2
Frank's Enemy - S/T , Illumination , Neoblasphemies
Free Reign- Tragedy EP

Also listened to the new-ish Deceased - Surreal Overdose
and Eiherjer's - Norron

Plus, Odds - Neopolitan, Bedbugs
and sampled Young The Giant'sself titled album and The Naked and Famous'-Passive Me Agressive You.

Metal Mark said...

Kreator-Endless Pain,Tormentor demo
Nuclear Assault-Game over, The plague, Out of order
Armored Saint-Harpo's Hooligans and Nod to the Old school
Sacrfice-Torment in fire
Big trouble in little China soundtrack
Michael Schenker-Temple of rock
Gloominouis Doom-Cosmic super ghoul
Voyager-The meaning of I
Wotan-Carmina Barbarica
Craft-Void
Thought Industry-Short wave on a cold day
Led Zeppelin-3
Abattoir-demo 1982
Possessed-Death Metal demo

cjk_44 said...

Ray, sorry for your loss. Times are bad enough, but losing loved ones is tough no matter what.

Opeth – Heritage
Anthrax – Worship Music
Dream Theater – A Dramatic Turn of Events
Arch/Matheos – Sympathetic Resonance
Hendrix – Hendrix In the West
Animals As Leaders – “Isolated Incidents"
In Flames – The Tokyo Showdown
Queen – News of the World
Queen – Hot Space

taotechuck said...

Ray, I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Just started a new job, so I missed adding my lists the past few weeks.

I actually listened to an album that isn't by the Dead. I think that's the first time since mid-August. Scary.

If you're trying to immerse yourself in the Grateful Dead, the studio albums are a nice place to start (don't forget Weir's "Ace") but they're a poor representation of the band. I just started listening to the Dead in April, and I've listened to over 600 tracks in the past 6 months. Every time I start thinking I'm done, I hear another track that just floors me. Tonight, I listened to "Cryptical Envelopment" on Hundred Year Hall, and it blew me away.

Best of all, you don't have to spend a penny. There are hundreds of shows that you can legally stream/download at archive.org. Start with anything from '72, and then hit '77, '89, and late '90. If you want specific shows, get my email/number from Bob and we'll talk. Or just look for someone wearing a Dead shirt and ask for a recommendation... that's what I do, and nobody has steered me wrong yet!

D-Bridge & Instra:Mental - FabricLive.50
Grateful Dead - Ithaca, NY, 5/8/1977
Grateful Dead - Santa Fe, NM, 9/11/1983
Grateful Dead - Dick's Picks 9 (New York, 9/16/1990)
Grateful Dead - Dick's Picks 23 (Baltimore, 9/17/1972)
Grateful Dead - Hundred Year Hall (Frankfurt, 4/26/1972)
Grateful Dead - One from the Vault (San Francisco, 8/13/1975) (I hated this record, except for the version of "Blues for Allah" that was amazing.)

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Gents, thanks for your well-wishes. I'm fine, just really stunned, that's all. Sorry to have missed out on acknowledgements until now.

Dpth, keep going, bro, but do try and shag down the first Forbidden album. It's a classic.

Mark, as we're discussing off-site this very minute, hopefully I'll be hearing Schenker soon and I was favorable to Craft's Fuck the World years ago, so I'll try and get it downloaded in the immediate future. You are smacking down on all of those cool soundtracks, man!

cjk, I finally got Opeth sent out to me and I believe you said it was a creeper, as in one you have to let creep in on you. I think you're right on that, though I'm hearing quite a bit of Jethro Tull in them this time around. Review will be here soon.

Chuck, I'll take your suggestion as time permits. A lot of the bonus stuff from the Rhino reissues surpasses much of the original recordings. They are indeed the finest jam band of all-time.

cjk_44 said...

Ray, i listened to "Heritage" about 15 times on the NPR stream while doing other things. needless to say i was sufficiently distrcted. while that is not exactly the best environment for listening to new music it did keep my attention away from the music while allowing me to absorb the stark difference to past Opeth albums.

now that i've listened to "Heritage" in other ways (usually more focused listening in a much louder setting) it is easy to say that "Heritage" is a challenge for long-time Opeth fans. there are a lot of subtle elements that establish Opeth's on-going musical legacy without the growls and pummeling distorted guitars.

as a result "Heritage" is a creeper/grower that requires multiple listens to appreciate. the heavy '70s prog influence seems overwhelming and outright confrontational at times. but the end result is undoubtedly Opeth. "Heritage" is a fine addition to the Opeth catalog.