The Metal Minute Awarded 2009 Best Personal Blog By Metal Hammer Magazine

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Spins of the Minute: 2/27/2013



Greetings, peeps, hope all's well around the metal frontiers. 

Coming up at The Metal Minute in the immediate future, there'll be examinations of the latest from Bad Religion, The Beyond and Centurion, and another installment of Notes From the Old School.

Been on a Rammstein kick aside from the new Voivod after reviewing Rammstein's seriously kickass three-disc DVD Videos:  1995-2012 for Blabbermouth.  Is this the tightest band alive, as I read one reviewer call them?   Maybe, maybe not, but these guys are so much more than just a next-gen metal-industrial band.  Between their outrageous stage theatrics and expressionistic videos, they just might be deserving of their own future-coined art movement:  Rammstein. 

Listening:

Voivod - Target Earth
Rammstein - Sensucht
Rammstein - Reise Reise
Rammstein - Mutter
Rammstein - Rosenrot
Rammstein - Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da
Soilwork - The Living Infinite
Helloween - Straight Out of Hell
Vreid - Welcome Farewell
Iron Maiden - s/t
Gojira - L'enfant Sauvage
Conny Ochs - Black Happy
Bad Religion - True North
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Juju
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Tinderbox
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - Freak Out!
Herbie Hancock - Inventions & Dimensions
Patti Smith Group - Easter
Fela Kuti - Beasts of No Nation
Lynyrd Skynard - Second Helping

Viewing:

Rammstein - Videos:  1995-2012
Mudhoney - I'm Now:  The Story of Mudhoney
A Fistful of Dollars

5 comments:

cjk_44 said...

Listening:

Steven Wilson – The Raven That Refused To Sing
Riverside – Shrine of New Generation Slaves
Kylesa – From The Vaults, Vol. 1
Mestis – Basal Ganglia
Witchcraft – The Alchemist
Black Tusk – Taste the Sin
Graveworm – Diabolical Figures
Graveyard – Lights Out
Bruce Dickinson – Tyranny of Souls
Accept – Russian Roulette
Volbeat – Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood
Saigon Kick – Devil In the Details

Watching:
U2 – Glastonbury 2011 (live)
Anathema – “Thin Air” (live at Union Chapel)

Reading:
Data, A Love Story: How I Gamed Online Dating to Meet My Match – Amy Webb

I can't wait to hear the new Soilwork - brave of them to do a double-album.

I very much need to get the new Conny Ochs.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Dude, I went way high in my rating for the new Soilwork. I was blown to pieces by it. I've always thought they were a tight band, but this time they dropped the depth charges and the new album's freaking unbelievable. You'll definitely want in on that, and Conny Ochs.

So you heard that Rob Caggiano from Anthrax took off for Volbeat, right? Good picks on Witchcraft, Black Tusk and Kylesa...oh, hell, you're always money with your playlists. I need to drop in on Russian Roulette again and see how it sounds to my ears these days.

cjk_44 said...

Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, that new Soilwork smokes pretty much from beginning to end.

I guess Caggiano can't go wrong with his new gig. There's always more to the story than we'll ever know.

Accept are pretty much a staple of my music listening experience going on almost 4 decades now. I had the pleasure of interviewing Udo and he seemed down-to-earth and quite sincere. '80s-era Accept always puts me back in the old days listening to great metal on vinyl and cassette!

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

The old cassette and vinyl days, ahhhhhhh...well, cassettes can go shit since most of them split after awhile, but I had some irreplaceable stuff on cassettes I've yet to find out there in future formats. Ahh well. Yeah, Soilwork and Voivod are my favorite albums so far this year.

I too got to interview Udo and he was a trip. Ditto for Wolf on the Blood of the Nations run. Had fun talking to him about beers. Accept, what can you say? One of the greatest of the greats and I'm happy they're in good hands with Tornillo.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I should clarify those are my favorite metal picks so far, because I'm very much into the new Tomahawk, Bad Religion and Conny Ochs albums as well.